Advertisement

Advertisement
THE MORNING SHOW | Presented by AppleTV+ The News Is Only Half The Story. | 8 Emmy Award Nominations

Friday, January 4, 2019

[NEWS] New Year, New Jennifer ⏤ Same Problems

(2019) ELLE magazine: Jennifer Aniston No Looking Back
The actress rang in the New Year gracing the cover of Elle magazine for the January 2019 issue. In this exclusive cover story interview she discusses both of her marriages to film actor Brad Pitt (2000-05); and screenwriter/actor Justin Theroux (2015-17).

left to right: Jennifer's marriage to Brad Pitt (2000-05); Jennifer's marriage to Justin Theroux (205-17)
Jennifer says, "I also was never a kid who sat around and dreamed about a wedding, you know? Those were never my fantasies. When I was first popped the question [referring to her first marriage to Pitt], it was so foreign to me. My priorities weren't about finding partnership and 'Who I am gonna marry?' and 'What am I gonna wear on my wedding day?'. I was building houses with shoe boxes and toilet paper and felt. It was always about finding a home that felt safe. And I'm sure, because I was from a divorced-parent home [Aniston's parents split when she was 9-years old], that was another reason I wasn't like, 'Well, that looks like a great institution'. Which is partly why the obsession with her love life rankles. "I don't feel a void. I really don't. My marriages, they've been very successful, in [my] personal opinion. And when they came to and end, it was a choice that was made because we chose to be happy, and sometimes happiness didn't exist within that arrangement anymore. Sure, there were bumps, and not every moment felt fantastic, obviously, but at the end of it, this is our one life and I would not stay in a situation out of fear. Fear of being alone. Fear of not being able to survive. To stay in a marriage based on fear feels like you're doing your life a disservice. When the work has been put in and it doesn't seem that there's an option of it working, that's okay. That's NOT a failure. We have these cliches around all of this that need to be reworked and retooled, you know? Because it's very narrow-minded thinking." By endlessly focusing on her marital or family status, "you're diminishing everything I have succeeded at, and that I have built and created. It's such a shallow lens that people look through. It's the only place to point a finger at me as though it's my damage ⏤ like it's some sort of scarlet letter on me that I haven't procreated, or maybe won't ever procreate. Ultimately, the idea of a happy ending is a very romantic idea. It's a very storybook idea. I understand it, and I think for some people it does work. And it's powerful and it's incredible and it's admirable. Even enviable. But everybody's path is different."

No comments:

Post a Comment